Posts

First Quarter Project Presentations – YWL at Smokey House

At the IMG_1752end of the first quarter, we shared our progress with parents and teachers.  After a delicious lunch (prepared by students, of course), each student gave a talk, with PowerPoint, about his project work during the first quarter.  Here are excerpts from two of the presentations:

IMG_1525From Lucas (culinary):  “We were harvesting stuff in the garden and decided we had too many tomatoes.  Juanita and I didn’t want our tomatoes to rot, so we cooked them down to make a sauce.  First I cut up garlic.  Then I cut up onion and put it in the pan with olive oil.  Then I cut up the tomatoes, big red tomatoes and little cherry tomatoes.  Then we put it on high heat, smashed them down in the pot, and cooked it until it boiled and turned to mushy sauce.  Then without Juanita looking, as a prank, I put in part of a hot cayenne pepper.  It would have been funny to get the taste buds tingling.  I knew I wasn’t putting enough in to wreck it.  I was surprised that Juanita could taste it, because I didn’t put in a lot.  We had a good laugh.”

 

IMG_1513From Scott (woodshop wall):  “The back wall on the barn was rotted.  When we talked about projects, I said that I wanted to fix the wall. We talked with Jesse [SHC executive director], and he said it would be a good project.  First we measured how long the wall was, how high it was, and calculated for trim, overhang, siding and roofing.  Next, we called LaValley’s to price out all the materials needed…The total price for all the materials was $875.  We took this price to Jesse and he said “Go ahead, order it!”

woodshopFrom the start, we knew the project would take a month or two.  We knew ripping everything off would only take a day or two.  The ordered materials came in just over one weekend, so it’s just the labor that can take awhile.  It has taken a bit longer because we haven’t been able to work on it consistently.  When we started actually working on the wall, we realized there was more rotted wood than we thought.  We also realized the reason a lot of it had rotted was because there was no overhang.  So first, we had to rip all of the clapboards and the rotted wood off of the wall….”

Other projects included making raised beds for the garden, clearing and marking trails, and researching raising pigs vs. cows.

Our quarter two presentations are scheduled for Friday, January 16.

 

A New Workbench for TTC at Smokey House

Up to now we’ve made good use of old desks and tables for our projects in the classroom barn, but under the guidance of teacher-carpenter Robin Chesnut-Tangerman we have built a sturdy workbench to make our projects easier to manage.  We’re really proud of the end result!

Design came first, followed by measurements and cutting lists.

bench plans bench square IMG_0046

We glued and screwed two layers of plywood together, built the frame, sanded and polyurethaned.
IMG_0064 IMG_0073

IMG_0123We took the drawers off an old desk and installed them at one end of the workbench.  We bought a new lockable tool chest for the other end.

The boards for the shelving under the bench came from an old table that we tore apart, cut, and sanded.  We also made shelves for the end wall.  Underneath, we used flooring remnants to protect the old carpet.

IMG_0152

The finished product!